Friday 1 May 2020

May Day

This poem is better than I remember it so I’m posting it here, or maybe my brain is just getting ever sludgier. It definitely is, but these days, I think that is an asset.


May Day
 
on telephone buttons let dust accrue
no will to receive and no-one to call
carnivore neighbours in gardens pollute
smoke wafting aloft carcinogen coils
from cow coal cremations on barbecue
conversations beefed up malodorous
to self promotion of bluff power tools
Bank holiday impulse bought at Argos
glasses clink jarring with icy chit chat
babbling dry like a bubblewrap creek
one-upmanship sinking minus life raft
I wish war film skies, orchestral then bleak
a scornful flash then harsh bullet rain pours
peace now the refugees head back indoors

28th April 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment